How To Paint A Wall (For Dummies)

Hello, again. I have been extremely busy with the house and moving and getting a puppy and raising a toddler, so I haven't been able to keep up with the blog as much as I had hoped I would've been able to.

So before I explain how I learned to paint the easy way, I will go over a few things that have happened since my last post.


We are officially living in our new home! We signed the contract and have been here since 4/11. We got all our stuff from the apartment on 4/4, but we ran into an unexpected financial issue with our only car breaking down and needing a new engine or something. So we spent a huge chunk of our savings that I was hoping to use for the house on yet another used car, so let's pray that this one will last us a bit until we can afford a newer one. Anyways, we went to Home Depot before we officially moved in and got about $400 worth of paint. I was coming here everyday trying to get painting done before we moved in, but I was only able to finish the walls in our room and my sons. Painting dark wooden trim white is a lot more time-consuming than I was expecting, I'm still working on it in our room. My husband painted his man cave himself (I would be lying if I told you I like the color). Word to the wise, don't ever, I mean EVER, tell your husband he can pick the paint colors for any room ever.

Now that all our stuff is here, it is a lot more difficult for me to get anything done.. On top of having a two year old pulling everything out of the boxes and a puppy peeing and pooping every time you turn your head, it has been a complete nightmare for me.

Anyways, I still need to paint the living room, entry & upstairs hallway, finish the bathroom, and figure out what I'm doing about the kitchen. I am just taking it one day at a time right now and doing whatever I can get done during nap time. So, without further ado, here is what I have learned about painting.


Step 1: I wasted A LOT of time taping. DO NOT make this mistake. Not only is it time consuming, but it is also pointless and a headache trying to pull off when you're finished. Just keep a damp washcloth or some wet wipes close by and wipe off any mistakes you make. It's that easy. I also used a small, angled brush for painting around the trim which made it a lot easier. You just get a little paint, angle it with the shorter side in the direction you will be painting and just keep a steady hand. I wish I would have known this before I taped, but hindsight is 20/20. At least I know now. Painting the other rooms went a lot faster after I stopped taping.

Step 2: After you've finished all the edges (corners, around trim, around ceiling, and above baseboards), you can begin rolling. Just pour your paint in the pan and roll it out evenly on the walls. This is the easy part. For the higher part of the walls, you can either use a ladder or an extender. In my experience, 50% of the time you don't need a second coat. It just depends on the color of the wall you're painting and what color you are trying to paint it. I bought 'Glidden Duo Interior Paint+Primer', it was only $1 more than the regular paint. While I don't have anything to compare it to, I do believe it made a bit of a difference.

Step 3: Let it dry.

Step 4: Once the paint is dry, you will be able to see any spots that need some touching up. If you can still see original color through the first coat, then you'll want to do a second. I like to get things done as quickly as possible, so I make sure I do really good on the first coat so I hopefully won't have to do many touch-ups. Rollers are usually pretty thorough, it's around the edges where I used a brush is normally where I see that I need to do another layer of paint.

Step 5:  Clean up your mess and enjoy your new walls. Painting a room can do wonders. It has already made a huge difference in our house. It is so exciting to look at the before and afters, but I can't wait until all the painting is done!

Here are some pictures from the painting process in our room.

I picked up some paint kits from Home Depot which turned out to be perfect, and I don't think they were very expensive.

This is the paint I was talking about, I believe it was $25/can (so expensive!). We used a flat color called 'Stone Harbor Greige' for the master. I was freaked out when it first went on because it looked very white/gray, but after it dried it looks more like the brown from the paint chip. I am very pleased with the color. :)

I took some actual "before" pictures of our room.

And this is after I wasted a bunch of time taping. One more time, do not waste any time doing this. Seriously.

Here is during painting. you can see why I was freaked out about the color at first. It was so light compared to the previous color.

Paint dried. Couple layers of white on the trim. Almost done.

This is the last picture I got before we moved our stuff in. I'm still not finished with painting all the trim white. I will post more pics when our room is all set up, cleaned up, and finished up. Stay tuned.

To be continued...